onsdag den 15. maj 2013

Quilter's Favorites

From the first beginning I just knew it - I have to be a part of this! Thank you Geta for hosting "Quilter's Favorite"!
My name is Maria, I have been quilting for 7 years and I just love it. I am very curious and use all kind of techniques such as english paperpiece, american hand piecing, sewing on machine, all kind of appliqué by hand or machine etc. I love quilting on my domistic machine - especially free hand. I often make my own designs, I make a lot of models for a local patchwork shop and sometimes I even tests one of Getas lovely patterns, before she releases it.
Normaly I write in Danish, but today I will do my best to write in English.


List af few of your favorite quilting notions:

Machine Quilting is EASY with the SUPREME SLIDER
  • Easy or Self Threading Needles. Explanation later...
Clover Assorted Self Threading Needles
  • Mary Ellens Best Press for appliqué (used with no-melt mylar template plastic) and to press out wrinkles in my fabric.


Best Press - Scent-Free - 16oz
  • Roxanne Glue-baste-it for appliqué


Any advice for a successful color scheme of a quilt ?
Use the colors you love most of all. Making a quilt in colors that does not make you smile, can be a pine in the ass. Trust me, I know. If you need some inspiration, pop over at Design Seeds Enclosed. 

Some thoughts about thread and needles, batting, fabrics ?  
Use the best you can afford!

Machine quilting tips :
  • Bring your bobbin thread to the top before quilting - and again when you stop quilting. Then make a knot and hide the thread ends inside the quilt using a self threadening needle! It takes some time, but it looks great. 
  • Use the same thread - or at least the same color- in both top and bobbin. It will hide your small mistakes, if you make some. 
  • When free motion quilting start drawing your design on paper. When you are sure how to draw it, you can quilt it!
   Do you have free tutorials on your blog? 
Yes. I have two different categories: Projekt tutorials and technique tutorials
They are written in danish, but I use a lot of pictures to illustrate. Eventhough you cannot understand the words, you might get inspired.

What features do you think are the most important to a sewing machine used for quilting? 
Stopping with needle down!
What about modern quilting tools? 
I use EQ7, and love it. It is easy to use, and it gives me an idea of, how my design will turn out. But watch out - sometimes I spend too much times drawing and too little stitching!

Tips for organizing the sewing tools, the fabrics, the sewing studio? 
No!!! I am so messy!

Could you recommend a book to someone who just started quilting ? 
"The practical guide to Patchwork" by Elizabeth Hartman is a great beginner book for making patchwork on a sewing machine.

Would you like to share one of your favorite quilts, made by you ? 
Dahlia made with hand dyed fabrics (not dyed by me), trapunto behind all the colored parts and pebble quilted i all the black.
"Colour my Heart" 2012
Do you have a favorite online quilt shops ? What makes it special ? 
Well, when I shop online I often find my fabrics at Hancock's of Paducah of Fat Quarter ShopAnd then I must admit, I am addicted to both ebay.com and amazone.co.uk

What would be the perfect gift for your best quilting friend ?
Just her and I together - and lots of fabrics, our sewing machines, chocolate, and lots and lots of laughter for a day or two (or maybe even a week).

Don't Do Like Me! 
Oh boy - I know this! Looking in my closet I can see several projecte which are too ugly, no longer interesting, old fashion or even worth. I just hurry up closing the closet again! And maybe one day I will give some of it to charity. 

Hope you enjoyed reading my post, hurry to read another "Quilters Favorite" post. And remember: Quilting is ment to be fun!

Maria

5 kommentarer:

Geta Grama sagde ...

Thank you for sharing your tips and favorites, Maria. I love your giant dahlia - the rainbow colors, the contrast, the quilting.

Karen in Breezy Point sagde ...

The Dahlia quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for the tips!

Susan sagde ...

Love the dahlia! and I too love Best Press.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs sagde ...

Thank you for your tips! And that quilt is gorgeous...

Anonym sagde ...

Hej Maria.

Er det med vilje, at din blog nu står på engelsk.

Hilsen
Ingelise